Alexa specializes in commercial web traffic data. It provides internet users with a free toolbar since the mid-1997, so the user has quick access to web tools in his browser. Primarily, the toolbar provides data about which websites the user visits; and since there are already millions of users with the toolbar worldwide, Alexa can then identify the popularity of a website as well as its competitors.
All businesses that have taken up online marketing, aim at improving their conversion rate. Now, there are different ways of attracting targeted traffic. Some go for a good place in the SERPs, others like to know that their site receives heavy traffic. Either way, everybody has this goal of achieving financial success.
Alexa (Amazon.com daughter) has been providing Internet users with a free toolbar from mid-1997, providing the user with some useful web tools in his browser. In its own words, the toolbar has now been downloaded over 10 million times worldwide. The use of the toolbar provides information about which websites the user visits. Because there are millions of users in the toolbar worldwide, Alexa can give an indication of the popularity of a website and about related websites but it’s different with domain authority. it provides this information for free on its website and additionally provides periodic reviews of the most popular sites.
This traffic is based on such parameters as reach and page views. The reach refers to the number of Alexa users who visit a particular site in one day. Page view, as its name shows, is the number of times a particular page (URL) is viewed by Alexa users. Alexa.com makes it clear though that, if a particular user visits the same URL multiple times on the same day, all those visits will be counted as one.
About Alexa rank
Alexa rank websites based on the information they receive through the Alexa Toolbar or bulk alexa rank checker. This toolbar is available for Firefox, Chrome or Internet Explorer and available through the Alexa internet site. To get these statistics, users must install the Alexa toolbar, which means that the data is not based on all Internet users.
Affect of Alexa in the search engine
Many marketing agencies say that the Alexa score of a website does not take into account, but as long as you cannot understand what the factors are to affect Google’s Page Rank, you cannot exclude the Alexa score. In research, I see similarities between PageRank and score. When two almost same websites with the same PageRank come in search results, that website with the lowest Alexa score gets higher in the search engine. Of course, it’s hard to check if this is directly on the Alexa score.
Benefits of Alexa on the search engine
- Alexa Traffic can be used as a competitive intelligence tool but you should take into consideration the fact that its sample size of audience is too small; Just enter your competitor’s site in the “Compare Sites” section and measure the results of your web marketing efforts in comparison with your competitors’.
- As opposed to Google’s PageRank, the lower your ranking number, the better.
- It helps Webmasters and advertisers see the true marketing potential of your Web site. The better your Alexa rank, the higher they will be willing to bid to buy advertising space on your Web site.
- Personal pages or blogs are taken into consideration and ranked in the same manner as regular Web sites. They will even get a distinctive mark (*)
- Given that Alexa ranking offers you information about your Web site, it is a good tool to have in view of search engine optimization.
Conclusion About Alexa
Alexa ranking for a site is calculated on the basis of how many visitors with the Alexa toolbar installed have visited that particular site, the results can be inaccurate most of the time.
It may prove useful for sites with very good traffic that attract highly targeted leads, since Alexa focuses more on the traffic that Web sites receive rather than on links to it. As a Web site monetization strategy, we can safely say that Alexa ranking might be the right solution.